Thursday, January 28, 2010

Psalm 91:1-4

Abiding in the shadow of the Almighty . . .

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say to the Lord, "My refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust!"  For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper, and from the deadly pestilence (disease).  He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark."

He is our refuge, our fortress.  He delivers you from the snare of the trapper . . . He will cover you with His wings!!!!!

Now that's a promise we as Christians need to cling to.  I remember the first time I really sat down and read Psalm 91 thoroughly.  I remember how excited I got when I came across the word pestilence and its meaning.  Pestilence - plague: any epidemic disease with a high death rate.  I right away thought of Deut. 28, where we read about the blessing and the curse.  Sickness, disease and uncontrolable plagues will come upon this earth yet those who walk in faith can find shelter under the wings of the Almighty.

Even when scripture talks about the snare of the trapper, I realized that we can be protected from the things of this world . . . all that has come with the curse.  I look at the "snare of the trapper" as another way of refering to the "god of this world" otherwise known as the "prince of darkness."  It is so easy for us to get caught up walking in the world rather than in Christ.  Sometimes its more fun, or at least looks like more fun to walk in the ways of the world.  But when we do this we get caught . . . in the snare of the enemy, in the snare of the trapper. 

Only through our faith and trust in God can we stay clear of what the world has to offer.  Clinging to the promise which is laid our before us, the promise of God's protection on our lives, though we need to remember one important thing . . . we need to do our part as believers.  We need to live lives completely devoted to Christ and the promises of His Word.  If we do our part, He can do His . . . and I believe when we ask Him, He will protect us.

This takes us back to yesterday . . . there is power in the blood!!!!!  When we are covered by the blood the of Lamb, nothing can harm us!!!!  Nothing can come against us!!!!!  We are covered by His pinions .  .  . we are covered by His wings.  This is a promise overlooked by too many Christians . . . we all to often blame God for what's happening rather than turning to Him and asking Him for His protection.  He is our protector, He is our shelter . . . take heed in what He's promised you; let Him protect you.

No comments:

Post a Comment